PLAGIARISM PREVENTION, GRADING AND PEER-REVIEW: THE WAY FORWARD
All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/uwc2006/content/mail_disclaimer/index.htm
I am finalizing the contract with Turnitin so that future assignments for me (viz the NISL-EI2 courses) will require submitting to this electronic scanning service. This is not actually to scare you, rather to help you with your writing skills and get away from a dependency for lifting text from the Internet, printed text and even previous student assignments submitted (your assignments are entered into an electronic database that is used for future scanning). It works in the following way...
- There will be a link on each course Blog page to Turnitin for submitting of the assignments.
- You will be issued Turnitin accounts (usernames and logins) for the NISL-EI courses.
- I will setup the assignment details for your submission.
- In the beginning you will be required to create your student profile that will include your ClassID and Password, which I will provide you via email. You will then need to fill in your email address, provide your personal Turnitin password (a minimum of 6 letters and numbers but no special characters and at least one character must be a number), you will then be presented with a secrete password retrieval question and answer and finally to complete your profile you will provide your names (first and last name) and your Country.
- The creation of your student profile is completed when you accept the user profile agreement form.
- You will then get logged in and will navigate to the correct BCB course and assignment.
- You will upload your assignment and you will see that it has been uploaded (you can check that it is the right document via the on screen system) and once confirmed you will get a digital receipt and a confirmation email message that the assignment was submitted and time stamped.
- Late assignments will not be accepted via the electronic system.
- If you are confused do not worry online training videos will be provided just prior to initiation of this process.
Co-ordinator: National Information Society Learnerships - Ecological Informatics
Department of Biodiversity and Conservation Biology
University of the Western Cape
Private Bag X17
Fax 27 + 21 + 959 1237